Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Graduation

A few weeks ago, I watched my son's life flash before my eyes. I watched as my little boy in preschool put on his cap and gown with very little help from mommy. I gave him a big hug and tried to kiss him on the cheek but he instead held out his fist signaling he wanted a fist bump instead. Smiling through the little sting that made, I fist bumped him like a super cool mom and headed out while he hung out in the waiting area with his friends and teacher. Chloe, David and I took our seats in the sanctuary. My neighbor/best friend Misty took her seat across the aisle from me with her family and we glanced at each other taking deep breaths as we waited for the music to start and our babies to come walking down the aisle.

Then it happened. The well known pomp and circumstance started and here came the Pre-K 2014 graduating class of Hilldale Church of Christ. Brody was the 5th in line and as he got close to us, he grinned so huge as if to say "look at me mommy, I did it!!!" Tears welled (as they are now as I type this) and I could not have been more proud of him. 

The class took their places on stage and started off by singing several songs they had learned during the year. Their little tassels on their caps were just swinging as they sang and did the motions. They were precious. Many kept playing with their tassels, but my Brody, he was concentrating on singing and doing what he was supposed to do. I could tell that he was a mixture of nervousness and pride.

Next was a beautiful video they made of each child. The first slide was a baby picture the parents sent in, then their school picture, and then it was a picture of them holding up a sign that said "When I grow up I want to be __________________." Brody's said when he grows up he wants to be a policeman. The video was set to music and it was precious. Each parent got a copy of it and I am so thankful for that! 

After the video played, each child was called up one by one to receive their own Bible and their diploma. After the ceremony, they all walked back out to the foyer and there was a  large reception and lots of inflatables for the kids to jump on and enjoy in the gymnasium. 

This was a perfect graduation and a perfect year for my sweet boy. I could not have imagined anything better. He got to go to pre-K with his best buddy Kailyn, had a loving teacher who he talked about nonstop even on his non-school days, and he still gives hugs to when he sees her (and if you know Brody you know that is rare because he is a shy kid). He has worked so so hard this year. Every single week he has come home with 8-15 pages of homework and he has done every single bit of it. He is so ready for Kindergarten and so excited to go. He even told me a few weeks ago that he is proud of himself. Hearing him say that makes my heart swell! 

Not sure how I will do on the first day on Kindergarten, but I know one thing, Brody Blevins will be just fine. 

before we left for graduation


me and my baby


This is the first thing that made the tears trickle - this verse on the back of the program made me think about how Brody is going out into the world now into elementary school. He will not be sheltered by me or his church pre-school/homeschool curriculum. However, God has plans to PROSPER him and NOT harm him. No matter where life takes him, he has a hope and a future with the Lord!




look at this proud smile holding his Bible!

and this is something he got to go along with his room re-do. He did not get his room redone when he turned 5 which is what we did for Chloe. We did tell him though that when he graduated preschool that he could choose a new theme and get rid of the nursery theme of African safari. He is infatuated with Star Wars so that is what we went with. Room pictures in another post.



No comments: