Friday, August 2, 2013

Catch Up...Kind Of?

I feel like I have neglected this blog since returning from Ethiopia, and truth be told, I have just been so incredibly busy that I have barely had time to breathe some days. So, in a nutshell, here is what has been happening.

First, there have been several doctor appointments. I finally was able to get into the headache clinic at Vanderbilt and was diagnosed officially with migraines. I was started on a preventative medicine and instructed not to take any Imitrex or Tylenol, Motrin etc... for the next 30 days while the preventative gets in my system. I was warned about rebound headaches from stopping the Motrin (yes I was taking massive amounts for the horrible headaches I was having) and she wasn't kidding. About a week into taking the new medicine, I suffered through a 51 hour migraine before I finally got relief. Since then though, I have only had one other one that lasted only a few short hours. It's crazy how these things have just started, but I'm glad to finally be getting relief.

Second, David and I decided very last minute to take a little early week trip to Atlanta to see David's parents before school started back. We had a very good time. It was relaxing and just a lot of fun. We took the kids to Centenniel Park to ride the new Ferris Wheel that is supposed to be the largest in the USA (I think). They LOVED it and were not a bit scared. I thought they may be a little nervous but they really were fine. After that we headed over to let them play in the fountains which is always fun. They were SO cute running around in them together and their faces simply screamed JOY. Next up was the actual park. They played there for little bit and while they did that, David and I took part in helping several groups of people who were doing an adult scavenger hunt through a group called Urban Goose Chase. They had to do crazy things like hang upside down (they all got on monkey bars), make a 3 level pyramid and the top person pose like Captain Morgan, get 5 people to pose like they are playing leap frog, etc...  We are DEFINITELY going to form a team when it comes to Nashville and join in the fun. Check out the website. It's www.urbangoosechase.com
We also hit up American Girl while we were in Atlanta to see Saige in person (insert eye roll here) and while we were there Brody got an American Boy (that's what he wanted gramom to get him for his birthday - and it looks just like him). He's actually been talking about wanting one for a few weeks and I thought for sure he would change his mind but he kept saying he needed a big boy doll. So he got him, named him Charles, and he and Chloe have been playing mom and dad with their American Dolls ever since. It's pretty awesome.

Third, I've been planning some big things coming up for our family. Namely a Disney vacation which was really quite complicated until I found a gal who works for Disney, lives right around the corner and did the whole thing for me. Also, planning our trip back to Ethiopia next June. David and I are leading a group of 15 people and will be working closely with our friend on Entoto Mountain who feeds the children on Saturdays and is now advocating for the women to get them a trade so that they don't have to carry those 180 pound branches on their backs up and down the 20 mile mountain every day for $2. I'm also trying to plan and make arrangements for my littles when I go in for reconstruction in November. Yes, that's right. I'm finally, after 3 years and a failed attempt, having reconstruction with a new surgeon who is recommended by my oncologist and lots of my friends who have had reconstruction by him. It is a different procedure that is now considered the gold standard for women who have had radiation. I've met with him twice and David has been once. We are both excited, a little nervous, but mostly feel a sense of completion. Does that make sense?

Enough rambling. I need to get my children to wind down and go to bed. Next post will have pictures. Promise!

No comments: