Monday, August 12, 2013

A MUST READ- Ridiculousness at it's best...or worst?!?

THIS ARTICLE IS MAKING ME IRRITATED BEYOND BELIEF.

Go ahead and click on it to see it for yourself. It's the top 5 reasons that being a stay at home mom could ruin your life. No really. That is what it is. Ridiculous, I know. Now read it and come back and read my responses to her bullet points.

So, to their point number 1, I say:  You could get divorced even if you work outside of the home. Your point? Oh wait, is it that you won't have your husband's money to support you and your kids now? Or that you just lost the marriage that God created? That you just lost the love of your life who you dreamed you would spend forever with? And you quit at the top of your game career-wise and lost a lot of time and money because of it? Well my goodness. That sounds horrible because Lord knows you can never make money again. But what about  when you can never see those first steps again, hear that first word again, or kiss that boo-boo when they skin their knee?

To point number 2, I say: I may have lost some of the skills that I learned in my time at work as an ICU nurse, but I have gained so many useful skills in the business of life and being a stay at home wife and mom. I have learned how to be tender and compassionate when I really want to roll my eyes and tell my kids to suck it up. I have learned how to make the best use of my time because I know that when my kids' eyes open it will be non-stop for the next 14 hours. I have learned how to make some great meals, how to garden and grow our own food. I have learned how to survive breast cancer and serve my family while doing so. I have learned that this life is NOT all about me but that I am created for a much greater purpose to be used by God for His ultimate glory and that His plan for me includes staying at home in this season of life. So I say my skills have become way more valuable in regards to the Kingdom of God and really what is more important...conforming to the world or being obedient to Him and used for His service?

To point number 3, I say: Really?!? You think your husband is bored talking about the family and hearing about what you guys did during the day so he would rather hear about your job?!? WOW!!! My husband comes home and can't wait to hear all about our day. The kids are excited to tell him what we did and I like to hear their version of it. My self esteem actually is higher because I am confident in my abilities as a mommy. I hear my kids' excitement over the little things we do, and I know that I am teaching them character traits, about Jesus, and little life lessons every single day. 

To point number 4, I say: We are very blessed that we are in a situation that allows me that ability to stay at home. Since we got married, we have always known that once we had children, that I would quit my job and stay with the children. We even know that once both kids are in school the most I will ever do is part time work (probably with David) because I want to be highly involved in the school and in their classes. It just works for our family. Knowing this though, we have had times where we have struggled, just like every single family in America. There have been rough months, but never once has David wavered in his decision to have me at home. He has never asked me to go back to work. So while I can see that this COULD present a problem very easily, we are blessed that it hasn't with us so far. 

To point number 5, I say: it isn't ALL about money. It's about family. It's about quality time with your kids. It's about living within your means and making memories with what you do have. I have just been to Ethiopia where I saw poverty beyond what your mind could even imagine yet there was hope and joy among the people there. Why? Because they were NOT obsessed and focused on materialistic things and money. They weren't living beyond what they could afford. In the article it says a family of 5 couldn't live on $500,000/year with a $4000 mortgage, and private school tuition so the mom should get a job. I say they should downsize the house, put the kids in public school or find a cheaper private one or "heaven forbid" homeschool and keep the mom at home, and manage their money better.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Amen sister. Well said.