Saturday, June 15, 2013

Summer -Week 2- Still Surviving the Break

This week was awesome. Both kids were in Vacation Bible School every day from 8:45-12:30 and both of them had a fantastic time. I was curious about Brody because things always seem great to him until it's time to actually do them. However, on Monday morning, before the kid even came out of his room, he had gotten himself dressed and was ready to go...at 7:30. He was PUMPED! Chloe was happy to go too, but she is happy to go anywhere at anytime on any day. The theme of VBS this year was Colossal Coaster World and they learned all about Paul. It was so incredibly sweet to hear my kids get so excited to tell me about Paul that they actually argued about who would tell me first. This kind of fighting is awesome since they are fighting for a good reason. Haha!

Besides VBS though, on Tuesday I took the kids swimming after I picked them up. I kept it as a surprise so they were thrilled when we pulled into the pool parking lot and grabbed their bags and swim gear out of the trunk. We stayed for several hours and made it a fun afternoon. Brody had two of his school friends show up so he didn't want to leave even when we had to. Usually it's Chloe having the friends there but this time she hung with me in the pool and Brody played with Benton and Trenton by himself.

After VBS on Wednesday, we had a birthday party to attend. Brody's friend, Braxton, turned 4 so we went to Kids In Play to celebrate with him. Braxton is my best friend Erin's youngest son. She and I have been friends for 6.5 years now and she is the one who has the son, Kirk, who Chloe is super close friends with. Actually, had it not been for Kirk and Chloe, she and I wouldn't have met as we met at a mom's group when they were still only months old.

Thursday night the kids put on their VBS program for the parents. Last year, Brody refused to sing in it or even get close to the stage so I prepared myself for that to happen again. HOWEVER, he surprised me once again and got right up on stage, sang, did the sign language, and this mama's heart could NOT have been any more full than it was in those moments. WOW! And Chloe...my heart overflowed watching her. She is so dramatic when she uses sign language in the songs and it is beautiful to watch. Super proud of both of my kiddos. After the program they were both excited to show us their rooms where they had been learning all week so we took off and explored those with them and talked to the teachers for a bit. Both of their leaders told me that Chloe and Brody were the most well behaved kids and they had such sweet and kind hearts. Chloe's teacher went on to tell me that she is so respectful and caring and obedient. At this point, my heart was about to bust because that is all we really want...our kids to have good character and emulate Jesus.

Then on Friday we surprised the kids with an overnight trip to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Mammoth Cave is the largest cave system in the entire WORLD. There are over 400 miles of this cave!!! We spend Friday night in Bowling Green just shopping around and then playing in the hotel pool. Saturday morning we woke up early, had breakfast and headed to the cave. We took the New Entrance Tour which was about 2 hours long. The kids did awesome and had very few complaints. We climbed about 250-300 feet underground and then toured through about 3/4 mile worth of the cave. It was absolutely stunning! It was a little chilly, and it was a little taxing on the legs climbing so much, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. As a matter of fact, David and I are going to find a sitter to stay with the kids overnight sometime and we plan to go back and do the 4-5 hour tour. We ended up getting home Saturday evening and were spent. Kids fell asleep relatively quickly and early...and so did I.

Now for the pictures of our time at the cave.

This is looking down further in the cave




The Niagara Falls portion of the cave. It really was gorgeous - pictures do it no justice

And because I asked the tour guide to snap a family pic, I'm posting it even though it the quality is crappy. Oh well...

No comments: