Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Potty Talk Solution

Motherhood can be a challenge...a real challenge on most days. Currently, in this season of life, our main problem with Chloe and Brody is "potty talk." Now I'm not talking those 4 letter words (we all may be in therapy if I was referring to those), no, I'm referring to actual potty words. Fart. Poop. Diarrhea. Butt. Partner (refer to a few posts back about Brody naming his manhood Partner). THOSE words with the exception of poop are just NOT okay, and poop is only okay if you are going to actually go do it. However, my two kids (especially Brody) are obsessed with saying those words. It's crazy! I was so over hearing those words that I racked my brain trying to come up with some form of discipline that would get them to stop it real quick. I considered washing their mouths out with soap like they did in the good ol' days, but I couldn't bring myself to do that.  I also considered a drop of Texas Pete on their tongue but just couldn't justify it for my kids, and then it hit me...the best idea that I KNEW would work on my kids, and the worst that could happen was actually a POSITIVE thing. The solution? Brushing their teeth every single time I heard a potty word. Usually, they will absolutely only brush their teeth when I make them because they hate taking the time to do it on their own accord. So, to have to stop whatever they are playing so they can brush their teeth due to potty talk...well it is  equivalent to murder in their eyes.
Let me tell you though, after one week of teeth brushing out the wazoo for Brody, he has severely cut down on his potty talk. As in, I have hardly heard it at all in the past week. The first few days were rough. Poor thing (insert eye roll here) had to brush his teeth 6 times the first day (four of those were before lunch), and 5 times the second day. After that he caught on and has only had a few other days since that he has had to brush them extra. Chloe has had to brush hers a few extra times but I think she learned by watching Brody be tormented by the toothbrush and chose to silence her potty words.
It's a win-win situation form of discipline. There is very very little potty talk anymore and if there is any, they will have the cleanest teeth in town. Bonus!

The next thing that I will experiment with this form of punishment is excessive whining and tattle-taling. I have to nip this in the bud before summer break or I will be MISERABLE...and we all know that if mama ain't happy, nobody is happy.



No comments: