Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Thoughts...

Here it is. Finally. Election Day 2012. President Obama vs. Gov. Romney. All day long I have had this nervous excitement in my soul. I have teared up at various times throughout the day (my husband said I was a dork because of it) thinking about what a blessing it is that I live in America.

I actually voted last week during early voting because I knew today I would have the children with me since schools are out and I had a doctor's appointment scheduled. As I walked into the polling place last week I actually did shed a few tears. I know, it sounds dumb, but I couldn't help but think about how blessed and privileged I am to live in a country where I can go cast my vote for President and not worry about getting killed on the way in or out. There are so many countries where that happens. Where people can vote, but have to fear for their lives for doing so. And there are many more countries where the citizens have no say at all. My brother happens to be in one of those now. And maybe that is why I'm a little more emotional over this election. Because my little brother puts his life on the line every single day and night to protect and defend our freedoms. He doesn't do it for a "thank you" or for any other reason than the fact that God placed a great desire in his heart to serve this wonderful country that we live in and to serve the citizens. He placed a desire in his heart to fight for what is good, and pure, and just, and honest. He placed courage above and beyond anything I could ever imagine in his innermost being which allows him to be able to go to where the bombs are and take them apart so that another soldier or civilian doesn't get injured. My brother chose to be the bravest of the brave so that he could keep our country as safe as possible and to keep our rights and privileges just that...ours.

For those of you who voted, thank you! Thank you for taking the time to let your voice be heard. Thank you for casting that ballot and not taking our rights as American citizens lightly. And for those of you who consciously chose not to...well, there are no words. None.
Based on the map at the bottom of my blog, I have many readers from around the world and I just want to say that if you are in a country where you are not given the freedoms that Americans are, or you live in fear of death or punishment if you voice your opinion, know that there are people here in the United States who pray for you and care about you deeply. I know that I actually pray for each and every person who reads my two blogs and there are many of my friends that do as well. Hugs to every single one of you and many many prayers of blessings, safety, and happiness to you all.


2 comments:

Nicole said...

Having had a step father who served 20 years in the Marine Corp and having grown up on a military base most of my life I am very proud to say that I am an American. I am proud that thousands of men and women who have served our country fought for my right to choose and have enabled me the freedom of choice. That is why it is wonderful being an American especially given my current location where people are not given a choice. But having said that I also do not think that it is irresponsible for those of us who chose NOT to vote in this election. I am a believer in being passionate about your beliefs and sadly none of the candidates accurately represented those. I do not believe in casting a vote for someone I don't believe in and making a choice of the lesser of 2 evils. This is the first election I have not voted in since I was given the opportunity at the ripe age of 18. And sadly I have been called Irresponsible, Un-American, I have been told that it is a slap in the face to all Armed Forces, and been told I am a disappointment. These words have hurt more than anyone could ever know because I have never made anyone feel bad for voting for either candidate. I am PROUD to be American, I am PROUD to have been a military brat, and I am PROUD that I have the freedom to choose to vote.

Kelly said...

So sorry you have been criticized for the choice you made. That's why I said that I just don't have any words for those who chose not to vote. It's because I just don't understand. There is nothing about either candidate that I like 100% of, but there is one that I do agree with waaaay more than the other one. Is that choosing the lesser of two evils? For me, it's not.
Thanks for commenting and voicing your viewpoint. I appreciate the sacrifices that your step-father made and the ones that you and your mom made as his support system. It's just as hard on the family left behind as it is the soldier who goes!