Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Paleo...In A Nutshell


Because several people that I know in the blogger world have asked, I decided to do a post on the Paleo lifestyle. It is one that I 100% believe in and support and is the only thing since getting diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago that has made a huge positive difference in how I physically feel. It's something that is for everyone, and is certainly NOT to be confused with a diet because this is anything but a diet. It is a way of life. A new way to eat. A new way to fuel your body with exactly, and only, what it needs. And I use the term "new way" loosely because technically this is the way cavemen ate years and years and years ago in the Paleolithic era.
So, here are the basic "rules" - in my very favorite form - in a LIST!!!



  • Avoid sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and refined seed and vegetable oils as these are not available in nature - instead you can use pitted dates, raw honey, olive oil, coconut oil
  • Avoid grains (particularly wheat), legumes (particularly soy), and starchy tubers (such as potatoes) as these foods cannot be eaten raw - instead, use almond or coconut flour when baking and enjoy sweet potatoes in moderation
  • Prefer grass-fed and grass-finished beef over grain-fed beef.
  • Prefer pasture-raised poultry over conventionally raised poultry.
  • Natural fats like butter , coconut oil , lard, and tallow are generally considered neutral 

  • Essentially, it's a meat, vegetable and fruit diet. Along with nuts and berries. Nothing processed, refined, or changed by the industry. Grains are out because although most people would consider them to be natural and healthy, the really aren't...anymore. Wheat has been changed genetically numerous times and is now nothing even close to the way God intended it to be. Plus, you can't eat grains raw and cavemen would not have been able to process them so they are out...off the table. Organic is best, however, I only choose certain things to purchase organic because of the high cost. I always buy grass fed/cage free/hormone free meats and poultry as I think those things considerably alter someone's health. And dairy is technically NOT a Paleo thing, but there are many people who disagree with that. I choose to avoid 90% of dairy products because I am allergic to milk and eggs.

Now, some may be thinking that this is just like the Atkins or South Beach diet, but please hear me : IT'S NOT!!! On those diets, you can have the protein or breakfast bars, etc... Paleo says NO to all processed foods. Now, you can have your protein bars or breakfast bars, but you just make them yourself with all natural, healthy foods. For example, here is a recipe that is TO DIE FOR! My kids love these muffins and I seriously could sit and eat the whole recipe in one day: 
Banana Carrot Muffins
Those are MUCH healthier, not to mention all natural, where as those Atkins Bars have ingredients in them that would not be found anywhere else except a manufacturing plant.


So, here's a visual for you and I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have since this was just an overview.

Also, books I recommend on it are: 




And finally, my favorite website for recipes, shopping lists, and meal plans is: Paleo Plan



1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thank you for breaking this down! And for the links to the muffin recipe (will try this weekend) and the books. I'm really interested in going this way but may need to work at it a bit to get there.
P.S. what's the 10% you're following that's not Paleo?