Saturday, October 9, 2010

2010 Race for the Cure

Today was a very important day for Team Blevins.
Today was emotional.
Today was beautiful.
Today was almost perfect.

Today...October 9, 2010 was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Brentwood, TN. This is our 2nd annual race and it was totally different than last year. You see, last year I was still in treatment during the race and didn't really consider myself a survivor since I was still getting treatments. I think it was a protective coping mechanism. I was overwhelmed by the number of people there who were walking in memory of a lost loved one. I was much more sad than I was happy.
This year however, I really felt like a survivor. I am currently a 20 month survivor. This year I saw more survivors and more people walking in celebration of their loved ones. I participated in the Survivor's Parade and looked back at all of the other ladies who were lined up behind the 25 year survivor sign. I noticed the lady who was carrying a huge "5" balloon which signifies that she is CURED! I noticed all these signs of hope everywhere.
But...there was one element of sadness. Kate. I miss her. I wanted her there to walk with me. I wanted to cross that finish line with her. I wanted to share this day with her. Not fair. Not fair at all! Instead of doing those things, I walked in memory of my best friend and chemo buddy. I did "see" her today though. Bare with me and please don't think I'm crazy. On the way to the race, I asked the Lord to please let Kate be with me today...to please give me a glimpse of her in some special way. I kid you not that at the 1 mile mark, a sparrow flew right in front of me...as in I didn't even have to look up to see it, and it landed in the pear tree that we were walking by. I truly believe that the Lord gave me a special glimpse/reminder/hello from Kate and my heart swelled with emotion - joy! It was incredible. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before.
Anyways, we took in every element of the day from the Survivor-palooza breakfast to the tents with free items, the parade, the race, etc... It was amazing. No more speaking as our pictures are worth more than 1000 words.
Much love to each of you who have encouraged, prayed for, and blessed our family with your kindness and love. There is nothing that could repay you except to say that we love you and are eternally grateful to have you in our lives.

My sweet Chloe

My superhero - The BreastMan!

Carb loading before the race on a cookie

He needs all the carbs he can get. He can't afford to lose any weight :)

This pink ribbon means the world to us

David with the Hooters Girl

Family photo op...

Loved all the T-Shirts...especially this one since I went to Vandy for treatments

Lord only knows what he is looking at

Funny shirt...there were so many great ones today

Walking in memory of my sweet friend

Walking in celebration of ME!

Lining up for the Survivor Parade


Do you see the numbers? They represent how many years you have been cancer free. 5 is considered cured and I am determined to make it to that one and then eventually to the 25 years and beyond!



LOVE these shirts!

Family pic again with David's cousin and his soon to be wife!


Lined up for the race


Chloe walking for a cure


She is really on the move...you go girl! The carb loading worked!


Rainbow Care Bear...slightly creepy looking!


Post-race...tired, sweaty, but happy to be here in the company of people with a common goal.

2 comments:

Kimberly and Jordan said...

Awesome race shirts sis! Glad you had a good time. We love you and continue to pray for you. Now Get out here and see your niece as goon as you can!
-Jordan

casey said...

you are a beautiful inspiration! thanks for being so public...