Thursday, May 6, 2010

Devastation in Clarksville

Before I get into the outdoor adventures we have been having lately, let me first say that I am so excited. I cannot believe that I have not announced this on my blog yet...I am going to have a new niece or nephew in September!!! Yep, that's right, my younger brother Jordan and his wifey Kim are expecting. She is almost 20 weeks and had her ultrasound yesterday. Baby looks great and they were able to get great pictures. And for fun, they decided to NOT find out the gender. I'm thinking girl, Chloe is thinking girl, and I think Kim is thinking girl. We'll see though. All I can say is that when 5 of us were pregnant at the same time 2 years ago, I correctly guessed gender with 4 of us.

Now, on to what's been happening here. I'm a little irritated that Clarksville has seemingly been forgotten for the most part on the news in regards to this devastating flood. I have now experienced 2 floods in my life and this is definitly the worst. I was actually scared this time. The Cumberland River and Red River in Clarksville were the 2 rivers that flooded the city. Riverside Drive is still under water. Businesses are ruined as water went all the way across the road and covered up 2 and 3 story buildings and then went 50 feet beyond the businesses. Homes and cars are completely submerged. People have been living in shelters at several churches in the city. Many many roads were closed but a few have opened back up. Downtown was shut down essentially and I am not sure if it has re-opened or not. If you wanted to leave my neighborhood road, you could not turn right because of the Red River flooding just a few miles away. Deaths have occured in Clarksville due to the flooding. It's all just overwhelming and sad. The news is depressing. Opryland Hotel and Mall are both submerged underwater. The news reported this morning that the mall is still neck deep with water. This is only 40 minutes away. Please pray for my city...I love it here, it is home, and I hurt for those people who have been displaced and whose businesses have been affected. Many of them are our friends.
Now... here is a picture of Riverside Drive on the 2nd day of rain...out of 3 straight rain days.



In case the writing is too small, the top building is Two Rivers Mall, then Taco Bell,
 Humane Society and then McDonalds. (I stole this from a friend's blog so thanks a bunch to KB!)

1 comment:

Kimberly and Jordan said...

You're right Clarksville was not that publicized (sp?) like Nashville. That's awful. I hate it for your city. Glad the Blevins stayed safe.