Monday, January 26, 2009

Kelly's update

Most of you who read this blog have probably already heard about the ordeal that me and my family have been through over the past 2 weeks. However, here is the whole story. I am going to start a different blog to share my journey and God's faithfulness to me as I want this blog to remain about our kids and our day to day lives with them. I'll pass on the new blog address as soon as I decide what it is going to be.


2 weeks ago I was doing a self-breast exam and found a rather big lump. I called Dr. Hamre, my OBGYN, and he saw me pretty much right away and referred me to a surgeon at Gateway. I saw him and he ordered some more tests...mammogram and ultrasound. Upon having those done, they determined that the lump was of serious concern and proceeded with a biopsy. Today I met with my surgeon and was in fact told that it is a very early breast cancer. The medical term is ductal carcinoma in situ. The plan is to have surgery this Thursday and start radiation soon after. As of now, I don't have to have chemotherapy which should remain that way unless when they take out the mass they determine that the cancer has invaded past the cell walls.

I feel like God has blessed me so much. Before 2 weeks ago I had never done a self exam but felt God leading me to do one. As I'm sure you can imagine the past 2 weeks have been ridiculously difficult emotionally and physically for not only myself, but my family also. However, now that I know what I am dealing with and the fact that it was caught early, I feel like I can breathe again. It's weird because I have been so thrilled that I feel like people are thinking I'm crazy for being diagnosed with cancer and being so happy about it. But I'm happy because God has just blessed me with an early diagnosis and has been so faithful to me through this entire ordeal. I have felt His arms around me when I felt like I was falling apart and have felt His love and peace when the devil was trying to tell me that I was done. I told the Lord when this first started that no matter what the diagnosis was that I would praise Him regardless so that's what I am choosing to do. He alone is bigger than ANY diagnosis ever could be.

Please pray for me and my family as we go through the surgery next week and the next however many weeks or months of radiation. I won't know about that until we meet with the oncologist, but from the research I have done it seems like it will probably be everyday for 5-7 weeks...at least that's the norm for this type of cancer.

OK - new blog address coming soon.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Hey sweet Kelly, I have been thinking of you ever since I heard! There are no words, but know that I am earnestly praying for you & I am so in awe of your wonderful attitude! You are a such a Godly inspiration to me. I would love to help out in anyway I can so keep us posted on what you or your family need! Love you, CC