Wednesday, December 10, 2008

In My Mind I'm Going to Carolina....

OK - had to throw in those James Taylor lyrics in the title. Corny, I know, but hey, I love the state of North Carolina. As is so well said at UNC, "I'm a Tarheel born and a Tarheel bred, and when I die I'll be a Tarheel dead."

Last Friday, my family set out at 4:30 AM to the airport to head to North Carolina to visit my family. The flights were great although on the first leg of it, I just knew Chloe was going to get us kicked off the plane and on the 6:00 news. She was screaming because she didn't want to sit in the seat that we were assigned, and then the flight attendant came walking by and wanted to know what was wrong with her. It turned out okay though once we got going. Chloe waved and yelled "bye cars", and then yelled "hi clouds" once we were above them. She enjoyed the plane ride I think. Anyways, we made it to Atlanta then on to Raleigh just fine. Brody slept during the entire trip there so that was great!
Anyways, my dad picked us up at the airport and we headed home. My parents had not seen Brody since he was 2 weeks old so they were surprised at how big he had gotten despite his surgery and all of his earlier health issues. And of course they were surprised at how Chloe has grown in just 3 months and how much she talks and sings. Anyways, while we were there, we went to see an amazing light display in Winston-Salem at Tanglewood Park. I think I heard that it is the largest in the southeast. It was great! Chloe loved it and would point out all the different things. When she saw a star, she would sing Twinkle Twinkle, when she saw a bell, she started singing Jingle Bells, when she saw Santa, she started saying Ho Ho Ho, etc...
On Sunday, we went to the church I grew up in and enjoyed an amazing performance of a living Christmas Tree. Chloe loved it (while she was awake) and would sway back and forth to the songs she knew. After church my family went back to my parents' house and had a family lunch. My older brother and his wife were there with their 3 kids and my younger brother's wife was there too. It was so much fun to get to hang out with them and introduce them to Brody. It was also great that we got to meet our new niece, Emma. She and Brody are exactly 1 month apart. After lunch, we went to spend some more time with my brother and his family, my grandmother, and my aunt and uncle. It was just so fun to just get to spend time with everyone. My aunt and grandmother hadn't seen Chloe since last Christmas and they had never met Brody.
Then on Monday morning we packed up and headed back to the airport and back to Tennessee. The flights back were perfect, and the kids were also! I couldn't have asked them to be any better. They also settled back into routine fairly easily which shocked me since Chloe was on cookie overload from the weekend. She hasn't asked for one cookie since we got home so maybe she knows that those are special treats from the grandparents. Well, actually, she did sort of ask but didn't dwell on it. I picked up some stuff to make Christmas cookies to send to Iraq for Jordan and our "adopted soldier." I asked Chloe if she wanted to help me make cookies for Uncle Jordan and she responded by saying "no Jor-Jor, no Jor-Jor...Chloe's cookies." I just let it go and did the cookies after she went to bed last night.

All in all, a perfect trip to NC. The only thing that would have completed the trip to NC for me would have been to have Jordan there with everyone.

No comments: