Saturday, December 20, 2008

Afraid of the dark???

I'm not really sure if this is what is going on with Chloe or not. Lately, she has become obssessed with light and dark. Each night around dusk, she will say "it's dark mama." And I'll respond that yes it is dark and that now we can look at the moon and stars. Usually this is as far as it goes, but last night I was thrown for a loop. I guess it actually started at naptime yesterday. I put her down for her nap and about 1 minute later, she was crying (which is not like her). I went back in and she said "sleep mama's bed." So, I let her as this is a very unusual request so I knew that something was up. She slept for 2 hours and she was fine. Then last night when I put her to bed, we went through our normal routine of talking about our day, singing a song, and then saying prayers. When I got up to leave, she said "it's dark...sleep in mama's bed." I told her that she had to stay in her bed and then we prayed about the dark. I also found a night-light and put it in her room. She was fine and slept the entire night just like always.
However, I am now scratching my head wondering if she is becoming afraid of the dark? If so, I wonder where this fear came from. Any ideas or suggestions from seasoned moms?

1 comment:

Our Family said...

i think it's just something normal they all go through at some point. my boys did that and the nightlight seemed to solve the problem...didn't last more than a few weeks. good luck!