Friday, October 3, 2008

DEFEATED....

That is truly the best word to describe how I am feeling right now. We did get good news at Vandy yesterday though about the hard lump around Brody's incision. Turns out that it is just a ridge of scar tissue that has formed and it may take a year to smooth back out. So...that is not the cause for the screaming and apparent belly pain that he has. Hmmm...on to thought #2. The word "colic" has now been mentioned to us twice now as a possibility for his screaming episodes, but we just don't believe it. He does not have the classic colic signs (3 days/week, 3 hours at a time, and starting at 3 weeks old) and is a bit too old to just now be getting it. However, after reading up in The Baby Book written by world-famous pediatrician Dr. Sears, most of the time when doctors use the word "colic" it is because they have no idea what is causing a baby's pain. Most of the time colic is actually acid reflux or GERD that goes undiagnosed. So, David and I decided last night to start documenting everything that Brody does to see if we can come up with a pattern for his screaming/pain episodes - maybe it really is reflux. That would be great as there is an easy fix for that most of the time! I started this morning with the journaling, but before I could even finish writing the first feeding down, he projectile vomited what David thinks was about 2 feet! Since then, he has only had about 1 hour of awake time that he was actually content. The rest of the time if he's been awake, he's been screaming. David strongly suggested (okay - insisted) I call Brody's doctor today and speak directly with her about this. I really hate to do that because part of me just wants to accept that this is just the way things are going to be, but then again, another part of me says "no, you know your baby and something isn't right. Be his voice since he can't be his own voice." So...I decided after mulling it over all day to make the call about an hour ago. I'm just waiting to hear back from her now. David is scared that maybe his pylorus muscle closed up again (very rare - but not unheard of) since he had that 2 foot vomit, and I don't know what to think. To be perfectly honest, I'm tired of thinking about it, tired of worrying, tired of trying to figure it out, and just plain tired period. I've been in prayer more in the past 4 weeks than ever (at least it feels that way right now), and I just want God to restore health and happiness to my baby...and the rest of us too. I know that there is a purpose in all of this and that nothing that God does is un-intentional, so I know that when this is over, I will be able to see the blessing.

2 comments:

The Richards Family said...

bless your heart! please post an update when you find out and have time. my twin boys both had reflux the first year of their life or longer...it was rough! i was sooo releived when leila was not a puker, haha. hang in there and i will pray for you all! hugs, :)

Amy said...

Kelly, I can so relate to the whole frustration thing. It seems I fought with doctors forever about Adalee's issues. The only advice I can give is just go with your gut feelings. You know him better than anyone else. I would beg them to do some testing to know for sure. It is not invasive (just a little uncomfortable) and the peace of mind, for me at least, was so worth it. Once we go Adalee on the right medicine all of her issues were resolved.

I will pray you guys get the answers you need and that little David feels better soon!

Love,
Amy