Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Emotions All Over The Place

For comparison's sake, here is a pic of Brody swaddled and below a pic of Chloe swaddled at about the same age.









Chloe getting ready to leave for Parent's Day Out. She LOVES to carry her lunch bag.



after his bath Sunday morning



Chloe ready for church Sunday. David said she looked like a pilgrim because of the collar on her dress...he just doesn't get it.


That's how I feel right now...I'm on a roller coaster of emotions. Hmmm...where do I begin? Let's start with Brody. For the past few days, he has been projectile vomiting with some of his feedings, and when I say projectile, I mean it's going about 18 inches! When he is not projectiling, he is spitting, choking and gagging in between feeds. So, being a nurse and having some idea of what this may mean, we loaded up and took him to the pediatrician yesterday. We were there about 15 minutes and were sent for an immediate abdominal ultrasound and lab work. The U/S showed basically a borderline pyloric stenosis which is where the muscle between the stomach and small intestine closes up causing very little if any food to be kept down. To fix it requires surgery. It is a hereditary condition, most often in first-born males, and David had it as a baby too so it's likely that Brody's will continue to close up. We are just watching him and keeping in contact with his pedi over the next few days to see if he continues down this path. If he does, we'll have a repeat U/S and if it comes back that it is worsening, we'll go to Vanderbilt Children's for surgery. It's a very easy fix and as a nurse I took care of tons of infants who had this. So... for the moment, I am calm about this. However, if Brody has to have this done, I know that I won't be near as calm about it.
Now on to the good emotions...my little brother made it back safely from Iraq, after 10 long months, for his 18 day R&R! Woo-Hoo!!! He arrived in NC on Sunday evening and he and his wife are leaving for a vacay to Charleston, SC today. I absolutely am super sad that I cannot travel home to see him, but am thrilled to know that he is home and safe. I told him that now I feel like I will be able to breathe a little easier and sleep a little better for the next 18 days. Hopefully we will be able to webcam while he is home so that he can "meet" Brody and "see" Chloe.
And finally, just to top everything off...I locked me and Brody out of the house this morning and had to call a locksmith to get us back in as David was in Nashville at a meeting. So, about 45 minutes and $45 later, Brody and I are back inside and I am about to start cleaning my house for David's family who are coming in a few days to meet Brody. I know it's not necessary, but it's important to me to have a clean house anytime anyone visits. Fun times in the Blevins Household!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey Kelly,
Sorry to hear about Brody, but so glad you know what to do for him. We'll pray it fixes itself. Also glad to hear about your brother. I can totally relate to "breathing easier" for a few days. Please let me know if you need anything.

By the way I love the "pilgrim" dress!

Love ya,
Amy