Saturday, February 23, 2008

We're baaaaack!

Well, after an extremely busy, yet exciting, week in Orlando we are finally back home safe and sound. We arrived back to Clarksville Thursday afternoon and were so happy to be back with Chloe. Now, things are back to normal, as though we never left.
The theme of this year's seminar was "Great Leaders Serve." Think about it...that phrase is true. I have had employers who had the servant leadership attitude and were willing to lead by example and service. I loved working for them and formed a bond with them because of the interest that they took in me and their strong work ethic. On the other hand, I've had employers with the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude who wouldn't leave the chair behind their desk except for meals and bathroom breaks. Those were miserable situations to work in. I felt as though they didn't care, weren't interested, etc... From both of those situations, I learned that I want to be a great leader, the kind that serves others - I want Chloe and this new baby to see a servant in me and learn how to serve others as Jesus served. I want them to know that serving others is the greatest example that can be set. I mean look at it this way, Jesus washed His disciples feet...a very dirty job that was not even required of slaves in that day. What powerful service there! The King of Kings who should be having His own feet washed and not having to want or be bothered for anything, came to serve - not to be served.
I just want to share with you all some key points that I took away from this as it doesn't just relate to business owners at all. It relates to everyone...even stay at home moms like myself. Let me start off by saying that one of the reasons that I feel so blessed to be a part of the Chick-fil-A family is because they are a business based on Biblical principals. Many of the things we learned this week were backed up with scripture and presented in a whole new context. I loved it! Anyways, here we go. I am just going to share how the things I learned this week apply to me.

1. Leadership always begins with a picture of the future. To me, I have a vision of my future as a mommy. I have many specific goals that I have set for myself in regards to parenting and how I can shape Chloe's future by the actions and character that I display. I learned a while back that God has called me to be a stay at home mom and He laid on my heart that this is the most important job that I will ever have.
2. Prayer is the gateway to God's picture for my future. I can dream as much as I want to and visualize how I want the future to be, but without prayer and petition, it may never come to fruition. Or through prayer and petition I may see that God's future and vision for me is totally different and better than anything that I could have ever imagined. Read the story in the Bible of Nehemiah and see how God placed a vision on his heart and how it was carried through.
3. Big, revolutionary, life changing vision - we must call on God through prayer and scripture to reveal His vision to us.
4. To fully embody the values that we have, we need to say them and show them. The ways to do that are to really know your values (what are the values that you want to drive your behavior), share your values with others so that there is no guessing, and live your values.

Other things I want to share about this seminar is that if you have never had the chance to hear Louis Giglio, a famous pastor from Atlanta, speak, you need to find a way to do so. On Sunday night, he was the guest speaker and I'm telling you that he gave the most phenomenal message that I have ever heard. I am going to try to get a copy of it so if anyone wants to borrow it, let me know. Also, Chris Tomlin was there in concert and literally rocked the house. It was amazing!!! You know, the Bible says that where 2 more or are gathered, that God is in their presence. Let me tell you that I could literally feel the Holy Spirit in that room like no other. It was like His arms were wrapped around the entire room and giving us all tight squeezes. I can't even describe the internal feelings going on, but they were powerful.

All in all, a great week and now I am glad to be back home to put into the practice the lessons learned.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'm so glad you had a good time and came away with such wonderful themes and memories. Great synopsis.