Friday, February 1, 2008

And Then There Were Six...


This is Chloe's new chair...she loves to sit in it while she is watching her cartoon before going to bed. I love it because she can't get out of it once she climbs in it!

So yesterday Chloe woke up from her nap after only being asleep for 1 hour screaming her head off. Generally, after a good nap, she will wake up playful and will talk to herself in her crib for about 15 minutes so I knew something was wrong. She didn't want to eat her favorite snack (not like her at all!), she didn't want to be put down, but she didn't want to be held either. No fever to speak of, but I noticed that she did tug at her left ear once. Uh-oh! Not again... So I called her Pediatrician's office but they were booked solid so I had no choice but to take her to the urgent care center by our house. I didn't want to wait on it as the last 2 ear infections she has had have been so bad that she has required 4 rounds of antibiotics both times. Anyways, we get to the urgent care at 3:45. We check in and wait...and wait...and wait some more. Finally we are called back to the room at 5:30. Yes, nearly 2 hours after arriving and there were only 2 patients in front of us. S-L-O-W! After sitting in the room for about 15 minutes, the doctor strolls in and takes a look in her ears. His conclusion (are you ready for this?)...he's not sure if they are infected or not. I wanted to say, "so genious, you mean to tell me that we've sat here for 2 hours and you know as much as I know...that they may or may not be infected?" He wasn't even kidding. He said that they looked a little red and that he wasn't sure if it was an infection so he gave us a prescription as a "just-in-case." Needless to say, I got on the phone with her pediatricians' office again and asked for an appointment for first thing this morning. They obliged and lo and behold, her ears are infected again. So we start another 10 day course of medicine and should be referred to ENT next week for ear tubes. I'm sure we will wait until after we get back from our trip to Orlando to have the surgery done, but at least we are getting somewhere. I hope and pray that this will make the difference for her. Luckily, I notice no decrease in her hearing thus far but poor thing has probably gotten so used to muffled sounds that she doesn't know any different.

Moral of the story - don't bother with urgent care anymore. If it's that bad, and she can't get in to see her Pediatrician, go to the ER for some answers.

No comments: